How To

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Socks On One Circ

So first I cast on all the stitches like usual. In case anyone is interested, I cast on with this needle (size 1) and a size 3 dpn because I always cast on too tight. And I cast on with my version of a long tail in 2x2 rib. I'm not sure that I did the purl part right, but it worked so screw it. So I slide all the stitches to the cabley part of the needle and then I divide the stitches in half.



Now I pinch the cable and pull it through that half way point.



Keep pulling the cable through until all the stitches are back on the needle part, half on each one. They'll be connected on one side and open at the needle tips.



At this point I switch the first stitch on each needle to help close up the gap, but it's not necessary. Now we're almost ready to knit! To get one needle free to knit with, move the end stitches (the ones with the working yarn coming out of them) back onto the cable. Now the stitches we're about to knit are on one needle, and the other needle is free.



Sakes my hands are pudgy! You can't see the free needle there, but you get the idea (hopefully). Ok, so now for the knitting. Just knit as usual from the needle with stitches to the free one. The other half of the stitches are just hangin' out on the cable.Here's me taking the first stitch.



Here's me a few stitches in.



So once I'm done with that half of the stitches, I move the other half back onto the now free needle and then pull the just knit stitches onto the cable. So it looks basically the same as last time, the stitches about to be knit are on a needle ready to go, the other needle is free, and the stitches just knit are hanging out on the cable.

Here's after knitting the first half stitches, the pointy end of the needle is under my chubby fingers for reference.



Here's after putting the about to be knit stitches back onto a needle.



And now ready to knit some more.



So you just repeat that over and over and over again. I did a heel flap on half the stitches, so just leave the other half on the cable and work back and forth on the flap. For the gusset I just put all gusset stitches on the "half" with the heel flap, once you've decreased all the gusset stitches you'll be back to an exact half/half again.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for visiting! I think I'm sticking with the mismatched stripes thing. :-D BTW, I went to high school at Shawnee Mission South (ahem...a LONG time ago! Class of '79), and then for two years at Baker University. We used to make runs to Lawrence all the time! I live in Ohio now, but have fond memories of Jayhawk Land.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home